So how do you know for sure?  You don't but you have an idea. Hello George P,
I see if they match what I have recorded and I have an idea, often vague, but
an idea so that if the serial numbers are way off I know.  For example a
suitcase standard with a serial number in the teens and a standard speaker in
the teens, I know that did not come original. The B to K reproducers  share
serial numbers and I know about when the C, D, H, and K joined in.  The first K
weight is different and only says Combination K on it.  The recessed tops also
share serial numbers.   You have raised another good point, families that swear
the machine is all original when it is not.  On eBay I saw a Model K reproducer
'that was taken from the basement, all original, Granny owned it'.  The weight
was a reproduction. What is really bothersome is the standard speaker with
automatic recorder parts mixed.  Sometimes I can tell as the early and later
recessed to reproducers have the centering pin for the t
 op part, but even the pins are different in diameter.   Steve