$225 seems fine for this one. I paid $125 for a 700 in nice shape, over 30 years ago. Their sound can be most excellent.

----- Original Message ----- From: Antique Phonograph List
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Friday, August 07, 2015 10:01 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Columbia Viva-Tonal model 710

I've wanted to have a nice Columbia Viva-Tonal phonograph for a long time, and now I have the opportunity to buy a model 710. Not being famailiar with these -- I've never actually seen one in person -- I'm wondering what kind of cosmetic work this will need. It seems the green trim paint is faded in some places, and largely gone in others (note front center above the speaker grille in the second photo). The nickel plating on the tone arm and reproducer appears to be heavily oxidized, as well. I don't know what other cosmetic or mechanical issues it may have; are there common known issues with this model, and with Viva-Tonals in general? Do the horns usually need to be re-sealed? Are the reproducers pot metal? I've read these don't have a stop; does that mean it doesn't have an automatic stop, or (forgive me) any stop at all? How do these machines sound, in general? (Personally, I don't think Grafonolas sound very good.) Finally, the seller says he won't take any less than $225 for it; I know value is in the eye of the beholder, but does this seem reasonable to you, or is it way out of line?