On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 08:04:53AM -0400, Matt Wilbur wrote:
>> Reality just intervened - my MIPS processor is native 32-bit.  So I think
>> emu is my only option.  :(
>
> Well, it would also be possible to generate code for a 32-bit machine, using
> two
> physical registers for a single pil64-VM register. It is a bit of waste.
>
> I thought about that initially for i386 - before writing emu - but felt that
> x84-32 does not have enough registers to do it efficiently.
>
> Would Mips32 have enough registers?

The MIPS in this case has 32 registers, 30 of which are general
purpose (though there is some convention, as you might expect). r0 is
hard coded to 0 and r31 is the stack pointer.
I will have to look at the arm64 / ppc64 - do you assign machine
register for each VM register?  I have to look at the docs, but are
there any VM details published?  I know that some languages prefer not
to as it allows it to change (lua, again, for example) without messing
people up.

Matt