On Mon, 25 Mar 2024, Johnathan Mantey wrote:

People who are very skilled at making udev rules have done so in my
Fedora, and I assume *other* Linux distros, in the */lib/udev/rules.d*
subdirectory. I expect the */run/udev* subdirectory to be empty because it
is not a persistent file-system.

I have /etc/udev/rules.d/ with one entry from 2018. /run/udev/ is more
current.

When the kernel keeps the same device name for portable USB drives they're
loaded because that mount point is in fstab.

I'm not certain what you mean by "*Generic for any portable USB drive*".
You *want* each drive to have some unique label. If you don't then you
will most likely get some kind of access collision that isn't going to end
well.

What I mean is that my thumb drives come from different vendors.

Thanks,

Rich