On Wed, 3 Apr 2024, Michael Ewan wrote:

It looks like the MAC (message authentication code) algorithm list does
not match between the two hosts. The destination host is offering one that
does not exist on the client.

Michael,

That's what I found when I searched for the error message. However, for
example, on the client I try `ssh hmac-sha2-512' I'm now told there's a
public key issue.

This is on the server:
$ ssh -Q mac
hmac-sha1
hmac-sha1-96
hmac-sha2-256
hmac-sha2-512
hmac-md5
hmac-md5-96
hmac-ripemd160
hmac-ripemd...@openssh.com
umac...@openssh.com
umac-...@openssh.com
hmac-sha1-...@openssh.com
hmac-sha1-96-...@openssh.com
hmac-sha2-256-...@openssh.com
hmac-sha2-512-...@openssh.com
hmac-md5-...@openssh.com
hmac-md5-96-...@openssh.com
hmac-ripemd160-...@openssh.com
umac-64-...@openssh.com
umac-128-...@openssh.com

and the same macs are on the client. But, if I don't specify, e.g.,
hmac-sha2-512 I get the missing mac error. The perms on both the server and
client .ssh/* match and those in
<https://linuxhandbook.com/fix-permission-denied-publickey/>.

Had not before had the mis-mac perms issues so I'm open to learning what
else I missed.

Thanks,

Rich