On Wed, 3 Apr 2024, Rich Shepard wrote:

and the same macs are on the client. But, if I don't specify, e.g.,
hmac-sha2-512 I get the missing mac error. The perms on both the server and
client .ssh/* match and those in
<https://linuxhandbook.com/fix-permission-denied-publickey/>.

Had not before had the mis-mac perms issues so I'm open to learning what
else I missed.

Fixed the public key denied issue: on both hosts in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
passwordauthentification were set to 'no'; changed that to 'yes' and
restarted sshd.

The mac issue remains: I need to specify one (and I used hmac-sha2-512),
entered my password (not the passphrase) and was in. I can live with this if
I must, but it was not an issue before now.

Regards,

Rich