This is because of a fundamental misunderstanding of how cell phone apps like
whazzupapp work.

I would bet money you are NOT seeing this "latency" when you make a phone call
from your whatsapp to another whatsapp on some other cell phone.  It's only
when you are sending instant messages.

Let me explain what's likely going on here.

The whatsapp app likely uses push notification.  What that means is when your
phone is on your cellular data network the app registers into the cell tower.
Then goes to sleep.  When a text comes to you, the tower sends out a push
notification that wakes up the whatsapp app on your phone and you get the text.

This allows minimal battery usage on your phone.

Here's a dumbed-down explanation of push

https://www.airship.com/resources/explainer/push-notifications-explained/

Anyway, the whatsapp almost certainly has push turned OFF when the phone is on
a wifi data network because they have to pay the mobile carriers for push
access.  In that case the app is polling the server over the internet.  Likely
once every 10 minutes.  Otherwise their server would melt down if it polled
every second.

There have been complaints on "latency" on this app for over a decade.  Here's
a typical one:

https://xdaforums.com/t/whatsapp-messages-delayed-only-on-my-home-wifi.1941623/

There ain't nuthin wrong with anything here.  The app is working as it's
designed to work.

If you live in the US of A, a free country with privacy rights then set aside
your conspiracy theories and toss whatsapp in the garbage.

If you live in China, my condolences you are stuck with this behavior.  But at
least the men in black won't be breaking down your door in the middle of the
night.

Ted