On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 06:21:56AM -0700, jim karlock wrote:
> How about the lowest power UPS you can find and replace the little battery
> with car battery?

> (car battery should be the kind that doesn't require periodic watering.)

Tried that before - car batteries eventually "sulfate",
and won't have full capacity years later, when they are
unpredictably needed.  The LiFePO4 sealed batteries last
decades, and are a heck of a lot lighter.  Data centers
use them, but the technology hasn't trickled down to
smaller SOHO users ... or not yet, AFAIK.

Hence my question to the list.

An array of smaller "lantern format" batteries can be
charged one at a time, perhaps at a bicycle-accessible
location that still has power when my home doesn't.

BTW, I also considered replacing the 12V wall warts on
both devices with a direct feed from the 12.8V batteries.
However, the electronics in the Optical Network Terminal
may be finicky about voltage levels, and I would need to
pry open the ONT case to access the internal plug and jack.

Thanks for the suggestion; if you've had better long-term
success with car battery UPS, tell me more.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com