A state agency provides a Microsoft .xlsx spreadsheet on a web site page.
It's available to the public. When I tried to save it as a LO Calc
spreadsheet (.ods) it told me it was password protected; a dialog box asks
me to re-enter my (non-existent) password. It also will not allow me to
export it as an .xls file.

This is the first password-protected spreadsheet I've encountered. I don't
understand why it's protected but the data should be in a database, not a
spreadsheet, but this is another very common example of "if the only tool
you have is Excel, everything looks like a spreadsheet."

Any ideas on how to proceed?

TIA,

Rich