Hi Karl,

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> On 02/19/2010 07:42:08 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
> > I deleted the primary key from that table because it should not be
> > necessary (there should not be any duplicates if everything is
> > configured correctly) and it makes inserts extremely slow (by a factor
> > of 10-100) when the table gets large.
>
> FWIW, the automatic sequential key generation speed is unrelated
> to table size when using postgresql.

There is no sequence to generate as far as I know. The problem is the size
of the index file, and the fact that it has to be rewritten for every
insert (or block of inserts) that makes insertion get slower as database
size increases.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.