On Jan 12, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> wrote:

>>> To be clear, I think that assuming 1252 when there is no =encoding
>>> line is a good idea.  But I'm leery of overriding an actual =encoding
>>> line.
>>
>> Agreed.

I’m okay with this.

> I could possibly be persuaded, if someone want to make it, by the argument
> that 'latin1' is kind of colloquial, and someone using it may very well not
> be familiar with the possibility that they really mean cp1252.  But, if so,
> there needs to be a way for someone to say "I really mean it" and not be
> overridden by us.  Perhaps
> that could be =encoding "ISO-8859-1".

If we *were* to assume CP1252 for Latin-1, I would want it to be consistent
with the precedent set by the W3C. Sean supplied this link:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/encoding/#names-and-labels

Here’s the list of labels that they translate to Windows-1252:

"ansi_x3.4-1968"
"ascii"
"cp1252"
"cp819"
"csisolatin1"
"ibm819"
"iso-8859-1"
"iso-ir-100"
"iso8859-1"
"iso88591"
"iso_8859-1"
"iso_8859-1:1987"
"l1"
"latin1"
"us-ascii"
"windows-1252"
"x-cp1252"

In their interpretation, no label ever resolves to iso-8859-1. Pretty
interesting.

>> Q: What if there is more than one =encoding line? Does it switch
>> encoding part way thru a POD?
>>

> Error while formatting with Pod::Perldoc::ToMan:
> Nested processed encoding. at /usr/share/perl/5.18/Pod/Simple/BlackBox.pm
> line 380.

I recently changed this error, because that was a pretty useless message. The
new message is "Cannot have multiple =encoding directives". Also, it is no
longer fatal, but is passed to scream(), which means it would be a failure for
Test::Pod, but won’t break tools that generate docs.

  http://github.com/theory/pod-simple/commit/cb884b5

Best,

David