On 01/12/2015 12:49 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Jan 12, 2015, at 11:46 AM, Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com> wrote:

I ran across this link, but didn't see what action was taken on it:
http://www.w3.org/TR/newline

Pardon my ignorance. Does that mean that `s/Latin-1/CP1252/g` could be a
mistake on EBCDIC?

David

Yes, that's essentially what I meant when I said in an earlier email that NEL is THE new-line character on os390, which generally runs using EBCDIC. The code point for NEL in cp1252 is a horizontal ellipsis, and not a "next line", but on some platforms, like os390, it means "next line". This is a conflict.

However, now that I think about it, when I look at os390 runs, I rarely see NELs. Maybe there is a filter that translates them to \n before the pod sees it, but sometimes, I do see NEL all over the place but no \n. I'll ask on the perl-mvs list about this.