Hi Nick,
>> Are you planning to put the 3.0 release into the maven repository as
>> soon as it is out?
>
> As part of the release process, I'll copy them onto people.apache.org,
> as per
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#repository-guide .
> Apparently, the files then appear on the ibiblio mirrors, and all is good.

So bug #39977 is not an issue anymore?

>> Is there something to discuss, that could be done now rather than
>> after the release has been pulled out? E.g. if the goupId should
>> change from "poi" to "org.apache.poi" what would make sense (lucene
>> did do this too).
>
> Given that our java package is org.apache.poi, I don't think that should
> be an issue to change. However, I don't use maven, so I have no idea
> what sort of an effect that sort of change would have.
Actually the groupId should be compliant to the package name.

Cite from
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html
<<
groupId This element indicates the unique identifier of the organization or
group that created the project. The groupId is one of the key identifiers of a
project and is typically based on the fully qualified domain name of your
organization. For example org.apache.maven.plugins is the designated groupId for
all Maven plug-ins.

> Any maven users care to comment? Also, as David said, any help with the
> pom files appreciated :)
I would like to help. Where is help needed? Issue #39977 or something else?
I Will make a review on your POM templates.

> Also, as well as changing the group id, should I put the files under
> /poi/, or under /org.apache.poi/ ? It looks like most apache projects
> just use their short name, but a few use org.apache.<name> . We
> currently use /poi/.
The shorthand comes from the maven1 times where nobody cared about it.
But its ugly and also causes that browsing the repository at top-level
produces a really long list. There is quite a reasonable load on the server...
Anyways it is the same for java-packages. If you do NOT use it properly
it might clush with another project and causes big trouble.
Anyways its up to you how to decide...

> Nick
Best Regards
  Jörg