On 16/01/24 17:26, Scott Kitterman via Postfix-users wrote:
As many are aware Ghettoforge builds these for EL.  To me the simplest way for
Debian and other distros is for a community member to take up the mantle and
build Postfix in a similar way.  It's not that difficult to do and it puts the
responsibility on someone who is genuinely interested in that particular
platform instead of putting the responsibility on Wietse to try to build binary
rpms for every distro under the sun.

You can actually install RPMs on Debian systems, but it would be a pretty
unusual way to go about things.

The reverse is also possible (installing debian packages on an RPM-based distro) but I really don't recommend it (in either direction) as it fails to take into account differences in the distributions themselves. Dependencies are named differently, and postfix will be built with different library versions or different libraries entirely (e.g. you may be trying to install a postfix built against openssl 3.0 on a system that has openssl 1.1 and it would likely fail spectacularly). In fact you would see this exact issue if you tried to install the postfix built for EL9 onto EL7.

 I think for almost every one, the Debian stable updates that we provide should
be sufficient.  For those that actually need the latest release, it's trivial
to grab the Debianized source from a later release and build it for an earlier
release.

Coming from the Red Hat side of things I doubt it's any more difficult to build for Debian than it is for Red Hat based systems, but even so I would argue that if one person is going to go to the work to do that why not share it with everyone else so that multiple people don't have to re-produce the same work? At any rate, it's really up to someone in the Debian community to step up and do that, and I'm not trying to volunteer you for the job, it could be anyone, even someone who doesn't know much about packaging could take it as a good learning opportunity and Postfix is one of the easier programs to build in my experience.

Peter