On 2023-05-22 at 08:36:49 UTC-0400 (Mon, 22 May 2023 14:36:49 +0200 (CEST))
Bernardo Reino via Postfix-users <rei...@bbmk.org>
is rumored to have said:

My world is only a very small subset of the real world :), but in that world, if I say that a given server is the MX for a domain, then that's that, it should not relay further.

No.

Historically, domains would be configured with multiple MX records pointing to diverse machines because one could not rely on perfect connectivity and in some cases it was actually more or less expensive (in resources or actual money) to route mail via one or another path. This is why MX records have a "cost" field, and it is expected that whichever MX host one relays to, it will end up in the same mailbox. Usually this means that higher-cost MX hosts relay messages with SMTP to the lowest-cost MX host, but not always.

In the modern world, connectivity and individual host availability have become good enough for most cases that it is more trouble than it is worth to have diverse MX hosts with varied cost metrics. The use of multiple MX records has evolved into a mechanism for load balancing and availability in very large systems and playing standard-compliance games with spammers ("no-listing") for smaller systems.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire