Tom Reed via Postfix-users skrev den 2023-05-23 01:53:

I am not sure why I need a backup mx indeed, but if you make a simple dig, you find gmail, fastmail, protonmail, comcast, free.fr those big providers
do have backup MXs.

Though yahoo, outlook don't have backup MX as a comparison.

one mx can have miltiple hostnames, one domain can have multiple hostnames/a/aaaa/mx, what is backup mx for you ?

my defination is if over 5 days should be catched on backup mx, then on recipient need a backup-mx host that have max query lifetime longer then 5 days, else its waste of resources

gmail.com have over 300000 spf ipv4 addresses, not counting ipv6, what if 300000+ ipv4 is down at the same time should google just use all there listed ipv6 as backup-mx then ? :)