Hello, all.

I just set-up a new server, running postfix, with submission(s) activated on
standard ports (587, 465)

Shortly after it has been setup, I see brute force attacks (not surprising)
from a whole /24 network (more surprising).

I carefully checked the logs, and see the modus operandi, which basically loop
across the IP addresses in the network,
to avoid being blacklisted by tools like fail2ban. And it is true, even with
fail2ban activated, no IP is blacklisted.

By activating verbose logging, I see multiple user names are tried, not only
passwords.

Is there any way, with postfix, to run a script on authentication failure, with
information like the IP address and the
username passed, for instance.

I basically need features that fail2ban doesn't offer

- I would like to not rely on reading logs, removing one step and acting more
pro-actively.
- If a script is called on authentication failure, it is fairly easy to use a
Levenshtein distance to differentiate
between a user having lost his password and a brute force attack.
- If I log all the failure in a database, with the IP address, and the whois
information, the script would take decision
according to the whois information.

What are you using on your side ?

- Do you know any service, that I could use, to get the network to ban from an
IP address reputation, something like
crowdsec, for instance ?
- Anyone has success with Suricata, Snort, or a tool like this ?

Please, do not suggest third party hosted services, I want to be part of my
self-hosting solution.

Kind regards,
André