> Hey all.  Recently my ISP (Spectrum) decided (after this was working for
> me for almost 20 years) to make it impossible for a self hosted domain
> to relay through their SMTP server unless it was actually a spectrum.com
> email address being used.  After going back and forth with them to try
> to find a workaround, I had to give up and look elsewhere.  My next stop
> was with dnsexit.com.

I've got sorta the same issue, but it's more that Spectrum (charter)
is not allowing any emails from my personal domain hosted on Linode to
send email to their customers.  Guess who runs cable in my town?
Sigh... so I too am looking for solutions.

> Despite following their FAQ on postfix setup
> (http://www.dnsexit.com/support/mailrelay/postfix.html), I kept getting
> the dreaded 454, Relay access denied error message when attempting to
> send.  I verified all of my settings with their support but still
> couldn't relay through them, even though I had working settings
> previously for Spectrum (mail.twc.com).

> Finally, I setup an account with smtp2go.com, jumped through their hoops
> to set up various cname records for my domain, and once that was done, I
> was able to relay a test email through them on the first try.  So,
> everything seemed to point to some issue with the dnsexit folks.

It's probably charter doing their own spam blocking by just blocking
entire netblocks.

> My question for the list is, is anyone here relaying via dnsexit.com,
> and if so, did you have similar issues that got resolved?  I'd rather
> use their service if possible as they are currently handling my dynamic DNS.

It's almost certainly charter just blocking netblocks.  It sucks.

John