In comp.soft-sys.ptolemy, "cfk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, let me answer my own question and pose the next one.
>
> It appears the webstart is an interactive demo only.

The Web Start version if fully functional with the exception
of the Jython actor, which uses some strange caching mechanism.
See below for details.

>  So, I downloaded the java run-time environment and installed it. I now
> have in /usr/bin executables such as java, jar, javadoc and other
> somewhat familiar things (although its been a few years since I
> installed java). I also have a /usr/src/ptII3.0.2 directory and
> was able to './configure', 'make' and 'make install'. The first
> two completed with no errors, but 'make install' has troubles at
> the end with '/usr/bin/jar: invalid option -- i' and no rule to
> make target 'coding/condingConfig.jar' needed by 'docConfig.jar'.

I've seen this problem with Windows Cygwin jar before, where it is not
entirely compatible with the Sun jar.

Try putting the JDK bin in your path before /usr/bin.
I'll see about making a test for this in configure.

If you really want to use /usr/bin/jar, try editing
$PTII/mk/ptcommon.mk and change
(cd $(PTJAR_TMPDIR); "$(JAR)" -cvf tmp.jar .; "$(JAR)" -i tmp.jar)
(cd $(PTJAR_TMPDIR); "$(JAR)" -cvf tmp.jar .)

in three places.

The -i option is used to generate an index for the jar file which
make applications and applets start faster.

> I added /usr/src/ptII3.0.2/bin to my path in .bashrc. I also added
> an export of PTII=/usr/src/ptII3.0.2. At this point, if I invoke
> vergil, I can see the error "couldnt find 'java/lang/Object'". I
> have been here before and I think it is the lack of a setting for
> JAVAHOME and CLASSPATH. Unfortunately, I dont know where
> java/lang/Object is, so setting the CLASSPATH and JAVAHOME are
> mysterious right now.

Seems like your Java installation is broken and not finding
any the runtime jar file that contains java.lang.Object.

I don't have a good solution for this, I don't have a Linux machine in
front of me.

Under Solaris, Object.class can be found in:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 9% jar -tvf /opt/local/j2sdk1.4.1_02/jre/lib/rt.jar | grep
java/lang/Object.class
  1428 Thu Feb 20 14:58:48 PST 2003 java/lang/Object.class
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 10%

However, adding rt.jar to the classpath should not be necessary.

The way that I would proceed is to poke around on the
Sun tutorial and make sure that your JVM works

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/getStarted/cupojava/index.htmld

Also, you should be able to start vergil by hand by including
lib/diva.jar

Something like the following should work:

java -classpath ${PTII}:${PTII}/lib/diva.jar ptolemy.vergil.VergilApplication

> I am hoping that someone who uses java a bit more then I have over
> the last couple of years would consider helping me navigate this
> minefield a bit.

Yep, the classpath can be a bear.
> Charles
>
> At this point, I can navigate to /usr/src/ptII3.0.2/bin
> "cfk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Gentlemen:
>  >     I downloaded the webstart and installed the ptolemyII 3.0.2
> >application ion a RedHat8 system and am currently enjoying
> >reading through the examples.  But, I am puzzled by a *real*
> >newbie question. How do I get back to running the application
> >when I exit it. At this point, I can see that it
> >is running from a new .javaws directory and I can see http and
> >lastAccessed in that directory. But what do I invoke to startup
> >ptolemy when I exit and reboot the comptuer.

The Java Web Start Application Manager is a standalone application
that lists the Web Start applications that are available.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/Readme.html#install

Under Windows, there is a standalone Java Web Start Application under
Start -> All Programs -> Java Web Start

Under Solaris (for me_, there is standalone Java Web Start Application zip
file installer at
/opt/local/j2sdk1.4.1_02/jre/javaws-1_2_0_02-solaris-sparc-i.zip

> >     For now, I'll leave it on for a few days until I figure it out.
> >
> >     Guess everyone has to be a newbie at something on a regular
> >basis in order to get anywhere.

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands Brooks [EMAIL PROTECTED]  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2739             Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480  (office: 400A Cory)