The Ptolemy II faq at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIfaq.htm
says
--start--
 2.1 What about compatibility with Ptolemy Classic (Ptolemy 0.7.x)?

    This FAQ covers Ptolemy II. The Ptolemy Classic FAQ can be found
at http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyclassic/ptolemy.faq

    Ptolemy 0.x is fairly mature software in that the design is stable
and mostly unchanging. The Ptolemy II software system is under active
development.
  # They are written in different languages (Java vs. C++)
  # They have different file formats. Ptolemy 0.x uses Octtools,
Ptolemy II uses a system based on XML
  # They have different user interfaces. The Ptolemy II UI is much
easier to use than the Ptolemy Classic UI.
  # Ptolemy Classic works best under Unix. There is a Windows port of
Ptolemy Classic, but it does not work well.
    Ptolemy II works under both Unix and Windows.
  # Ptolemy Classic can generate code for various DSP primarily using
SDF semantics.
    Ptolemy II can generate code for non-hierarchical SDF models and
for hierarchical Giotto models.

    For more information about the current status of code generation
in Ptolemy II, see
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/ptIIlatest/ptII/doc/codegen.htm

    Various people have made efforts to use a different front end with
Ptolemy Classic. See the Ptolemy Website Links Page for possible
solutions, including:
  # MLDesigner 2.1 is a commercial product that was released in
January 2002 and it includes a conversion utility from Ptolemy Classic
models.
  # The PeaCE (Ptolemy extension as Codesign Environment) might offer
some ideas and does have some software available.
  # The 2001 Ptolemy Miniconference had the following talk:

    "An Approach to Executing Ptolemy Classic Models under Ptolemy II"
Ned Stoffel, Dwight Richards, Neil Smyth*, and Matt Goodman, Telcordia
Technologies, Inc. (* Smyth is now with Altio).

    The slides for this talk can be found at
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/conferences/01/src/miniconf/Telcordia.pdf
    We are not sure if Telcordia has any software available for
    release.
---end---

In your case, I think that Ptolemy II would be easier to get running under
Linux than Ptolemy Classic.

If you were very comfortable with C/C++, then you could try Ptolemy
Classic, but the Ptolemy Classic UI is very non-standard and takes
some getting used to.

-Christopher

Christopher Hylands Brooks [EMAIL PROTECTED]  University of California
Programmer/Analyst Chess/Ptolemy/GSRC         US Mail: 558 Cory Hall #1770
ph: 510.643.9841 fax:510.642.2739             Berkeley, CA 94720-1770
home: (F-Tu) 707.665.0131 (W-F) 510.655.5480  (office: 400A Cory)

--------

    Hi, I'm a student from Extremadura, Spain. I have tried to recompile
    everything to run Ptolemy II 3.0.2 in linux debian 3.0. I also got JDK
    1.4.1, but I think I'm not well configured in the Java enviroment. I use
    linux since 3 months. Then, my question is:

    I would like to know what version of Ptolemy II is more stable or proved to

    start with it, or if the Ptolemy classic version is better for a new user
    like me.

    I know is a very simple question but I also think that you (hackers) are
    the best people to answer me, I'm a little bit lost from the moment.

    Thank you and sorry for my bad english.