this may be related to a problem i reported a while ago related to
SwikiDirectory>>thumbnailOf:

in some versions of squeak there is a problem with JPEGReaderWriter2
where it doesn't take into account that an image (especially a small
one) may actually become larger when compressed). check the mantis
database for reports and fixes to this. (i think it was fixed in 3.8,
but there's not really a process to backport things to earlier versions.

hal