Someone asked me "where I am in the process" right now, so let me explain
what I tried yet.

First I downloaded successfully the file
http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/uploads/39/OneOfTheseDays.zip from the Swiki
Wiki. I was unable to extract it at MacOS 9 directly. I gave it a try with
Stuffit 7, Stuffit 5.5 and ZipIt - no chance because of an "unknown
zip-header format". I went to a Linux machine and extracted it
successfully. Bringing the extracted file back to my MacOS 9 machine
resulted in just one file called "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app" what looks to
me like a Max X application - but I don´t know exactly, as I do not use
Mac X at all.

This file/Application was not openabel at all. So I went back to Linux,
extracted the "Mac OS Classic" parts inside "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app"
package from Swiki download, and tried to use anything from MacOS 9. Also
without success. Even some files from the "content"-folder are invisible
at MacOS 9.

That was the status yesterday. Now I tried to follow Marks suggestion, and
went to the Squeak page and downloaded the official SqueakVM for MacOS
7.5.5 - 9.2 MacOS
http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/mac/Squeak%203.8.18beta3U.app.zip

Same story as with the Swiki download. It´s "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app"
with the wrong zip-header format, and unusable with MacOS 9 (extrated it
at Linux). The funny thing is I was able to extract the Basic Squeak
Release Image file at MacOS 9 without problems. (But don´t know how to use
it withhout a VM).

Well that´s it basically. Is it possible, that the format is really just
for Mac X and not 7 - 9?

> We originally developed Swiki on Mac OS 9, and I'd bet that we could still
> make it work.  You may have to download a different VM, though, from the
> archives at squeak.org.
>
> Mark

Wow, that´s nice to hear, that 9 was the original place for Swiki
development. Would be great if you could make the recent versions work. I
can try to go through the FTP archives and search for the latest version
that worked. Yes, that are my next steps, to look which 3.x version works
well.

I will report back here. If anyone has further suggestions, ... ?

regards

Mathias