OK, ... ;)

I downloaded Squeak 3.7beta1 from the FTP archive and it works perfectly!
But what is it? A complete OS with development environment and several
applications like Movieplayer, Browser etc.? ;))

I just don´t know where to find Swiki now, and it will take me several
weeks to get through the huge functionality of Squeak, but it looks great.

Funny thing. I looked for some wiki for offline and online use - something
a little bit better than hyper card, including online features - and
discovered Squeak through Swiki, ...

thanks

Mathias

> [...]
> zip-header format". I went to a Linux machine and extracted it
> successfully. Bringing the extracted file back to my MacOS 9 machine
> resulted in just one file called "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app" what looks to
> me like a Max X application - but I don´t know exactly, as I do not use
> Mac X at all.
>
> This file/Application was not openabel at all. So I went back to Linux,
> extracted the "Mac OS Classic" parts inside "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app"
> package from Swiki download, and tried to use anything from MacOS 9. Also
> without success. Even some files from the "content"-folder are invisible
> at MacOS 9.
>
> That was the status yesterday. Now I tried to follow Marks suggestion, and
> went to the Squeak page and downloaded the official SqueakVM for MacOS
> 7.5.5 - 9.2 MacOS
> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/mac/Squeak%203.8.18beta3U.app.zip
>
> Same story as with the Swiki download. It´s "Squeak 3.6.1 8beta3U.app"
> with the wrong zip-header format, and unusable with MacOS 9 (extrated it
> at Linux). The funny thing is I was able to extract the Basic Squeak
> Release Image file at MacOS 9 without problems. (But don´t know how to use
> it withhout a VM).
>
> Well that´s it basically. Is it possible, that the format is really just
> for Mac X and not 7 - 9?
>

>> We originally developed Swiki on Mac OS 9, and I'd bet that we could
>> still
>> make it work.  You may have to download a different VM, though, from the
>> archives at squeak.org.
>>
>> Mark
>
> Wow, that´s nice to hear, that 9 was the original place for Swiki
> development. Would be great if you could make the recent versions work. I
> can try to go through the FTP archives and search for the latest version
> that worked. Yes, that are my next steps, to look which 3.x version works
> well.
>
> I will report back here. If anyone has further suggestions, ... ?
>
> regards
>
> Mathias
>

>> ---------
>> Sent from mobile device -- please excuse typos
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2010, at 2:55 AM, "Mathias Wittau" <wit...@lnxnt.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Even if there was no activity since 2008 I hope there are some people
>>> who
>>> can maybe answer some questions.
>>>
>>> I stumbled across Swiki some days ago, and was very happy as it seems
>>> be the only Wiki being able to run from the MacOS 9 desktop directly.
>>> Exactly what I was searching for some years, and ideal for my needs. I
>>> use
>>> exclusively MacOS 9 at several machines up to 1,4 GHz G4s, on a daily
>>> basis.
>>>
>>> So I downloaded
>>> http://wiki.squeak.org/swiki/uploads/39/OneOfTheseDays.zip
>>> and wanted to start getting familiar with Comanche/Squeak/Swiki and how
>>> works. But I got several problems preventing me from evenhaving a look