On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 01:09 -0700, voltron wrote:
> Can one map the /public folder in a Pylons web application to a folder
> declared for use by a separate web-server?

This is a question about your webserver, not Pylons.  Simply tell your
webserver to serve content from that directory (or any other directory)
and refer to the correct location in your templates.

Personally I prefer not having static files in the same directory tree
as my application.

> Once in a while, the graphic artists would like to change CSS or image
> files, the have access to the server root and can upload data in /css
> and /image folders respectively. For production, one would use a Web
> server like Apache or Cherokee, and since they are the best at what
> they do, serving static content fast, it would make sense that all
> static cont be served from them.

I have a mild suspicion this is what everyone does.

> Is there some preferred basic general setup that can be used?

I usually proxy to my Pylons app from Nginx, and tell Nginx to serve
static files from a specific directory.  In your case, you'd use Apache
or Cherokee, so you'll have to read the documentation for those
webservers.

Regards,
Cliff