I could contribute changes required to enhance the subdomain
support for recognizing other variables than HTTP_HOST.

I think this feature is critical if you have a mixed environment
where you try to induce Pylons apps through subdomain-links, as it
is common in corporate Intranets.

Currently my implementation look like:

Instead of
-> mapper.sub_domain = True
I do
-> mapper.sub_domain = (True, 'HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST")
or
-> mapper.sub_domain = (False, None)

to enable subdomain support and to indicate the related HOST-var.

I could also do apply a different implementation if requested -
I have all related LOCs identified where the related var needs
to be used.

Kind Regards,
Andrew Smart