Mike Orr wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2007 5:46 AM, Paweł Stradomski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> W liście Marcin Kasperski z dnia piątek 23 listopada 2007:
>>> redirect routes need some detailed design.
>
>> I think that this does not belong to routes - but to pylons in general.
>> In fact I believe that redirect function in routes is unnecessary - it should
>> just take care of matching and generating urls, with no regard as to where
>> the generated url is used. That would give a cleaner separation of concerns,
>> and redirect function could just be defined in some layer using routes - and
>> that function would accept parameters describing type of redirect (internal,
>> moved permanently, moved temporarily, see other...)
>
> I'm afraid this is a case where purity hinders practicality.  My
> application has several tiny actions that do nothing but redirect
> legacy URLs.  The Routes map is the natural place for this, especially
> since it's about ROUTE-ing or matching URLs to destinations.  Routes
> fulfills a function similar to mod_rewrite, which also handles both
> internal and external redirects, so it provides a precedent.

I am guessing that something simple could be done right now, with a
generic controller that takes one parameter, the new (possibly relative)
URL to redirect to.  Maybe like:

map.connect('/legacy/:id', redirect_to='/new/:id', controller='redirector')

Of course "controller" doesn't work right here.  Is there a way to give
a controller that isn't in the application namespace?  Anyway, given
that, if it also knows how to substitute :id for the id variable, one
redirecting controller can handle all redirects.

--
Ian Bicking : [EMAIL PROTECTED] : http://blog.ianbicking.org