Yes, the project was created with appengine monkey and there are four
site.py's on my machine.  One in the setuptools egg in both my python
install and my project.  Then is one in the directory that contains
the site-packages directory in both my python install and my project.

>From looking at what the setuptools site.py does it looks like it
loads the one two directories above, which is apparently the "real"
site.py according to error message the site.py in setuptools issues if
it can't load the one two directories up.