Previously Eric Ongerth wrote:
> I have heard that the more you try to make Javascript behave like
> Python, the more you end up hating Javascript -- but that says nothing
> about Javascript itself.  Javascript is really a different language,
> with different strengths.  Perhaps the best plan is to use Javascript
> for its strongest points (for example instant-turnkey use of JSON,
> totally anonymous objects, function mutability, etc.) and do your more
> Pythonic tasks in Python.  Pylons makes it quite easy to leave as much
> of your logic as you wish in your controllers and keep your client-
> side view code very very thin.  Especially if you use a lightweight,
> concise JS framework like jQuery to help keep things readable and
> organized.
>
> That still leaves the case of the programmer who says, "I want to keep
> as much logic as possible on the client side to ease my server load,
> but I hate Javascript".  In that case I don't have any good advice.

Choose a new carreer :)

> The claim that Javascript "become[s] quickly unreadable for even
> medium-sized applications" really reflects only on the individual
> programmer/developer and not on the language, honestly.  Javascript
> does not deserve to be compared to (e.g.) php, an unruly beast that
> literally encourages a mess.  Javascript is, at worst, neutral with
> respect to organization; at best it embodies the heights of
> abstraction, encapsulation, and readability.  It's all up to you.

A problem with javascript is that most people using it never get beyond
writing tiny bits of code to perform a single effect on a page. With new
frameworks making that even simpler that is even more true now than it
was a few years ago. But once you get beyond that you will indeed see
that javascript is a very nice and fun language.

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    It is simple to make things.