> that is because
> a) the author or authkit is never around
> b) authkit is way over complicated
> c) autukit sucks in other ways
> d) all of the above.

This is unfortunately very true. I looked at AuthKit for possible
inclusion in a project of mine, but it's complicated in areas it
doesn't need to be, very basic in other areas, and not very flexible.
In the end I wrote my own authorisation and authentication system.

These are the things I wanted in my auth+auth system:
- Customisable table names
- Users, Roles and Permissions
- Hide/show menu items pulled from the DB, based on permissions
- Enable/disable links, based on permissions
- Hide/show sections of pages, based on permissions
- User access to pages/methods, based on permissions
- Fairly simple access checking

I haven't gotten the "access to pages/methods" going yet (not 100%
sure how to implement it yet), but I have the rest of the stuff
working.

Some of the reasons why I couldn't use AuthKit:
- Users/Groups far too limited (no "permissions")
- No way to show/hide page elements based on permissions
- No way to show/hide menu items pulled from the DB based on permissions
- Too rigid

I'd be quite happy to contribute my code to anyone who wants to start
an auth+auth project and would like to use my code (I don't have the
time to undertake yet *another* project).

--
Raoul Snyman
B.Tech Information Technology (Software Engineering)