On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 6:40 AM, Raoul Snyman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> These are the things I wanted in my auth+auth system:
> - Customisable table names
> - Users, Roles and Permissions
> - Hide/show menu items pulled from the DB, based on permissions
> - Enable/disable links, based on permissions
> - Hide/show sections of pages, based on permissions
> - User access to pages/methods, based on permissions
> - Fairly simple access checking
>
> I haven't gotten the "access to pages/methods" going yet (not 100%
> sure how to implement it yet), but I have the rest of the stuff
> working.
>
> Some of the reasons why I couldn't use AuthKit:
> - Users/Groups far too limited (no "permissions")
> - No way to show/hide page elements based on permissions
> - No way to show/hide menu items pulled from the DB based on permissions
> - Too rigid
>
> I'd be quite happy to contribute my code to anyone who wants to start
> an auth+auth project and would like to use my code (I don't have the
> time to undertake yet *another* project).

There's a page in the Pylons Cookbook with HOWTO links for all the
generally-useful auth systems

http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscookbook/Authentication+and+Authorization

... and a page for listing anything you think an auth system should
have that isn't currently covered.

http://wiki.pylonshq.com/display/pylonscookbook/A+Spec+for+Pylons+Auth+Packages

Please add any missing information here, for the benefit of all Pylons
users.  The second page would be a good place to link Raoul's
unfinished code in case somebody wants to pick it up.

--
Mike Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>