On Dec 18, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Mike Orr wrote:

> Why do requirements sometimes mean "Install this version minimum but
> take a newer one if it's available", and sometimes "Install this
> version even if there's a newer one?"
>
> So, Pylons has 'WebHelpers>=0.6.3"' .  I'd hope that would install
> 0.6.4 if it were available, but last week at work it didn't.  I'd
> prefer the latest version to be installed, but I don't want to make it
> difficult if people do want to use an older version.  But for people
> who *do* need the newest version (like me), I don't want them to have
> to upgrade because easy_install chose to install an older version.

In this case you got WebHelpers 0.6.3 because its egg is hosted @
http://pylonshq.com/download/0.9.7
, Pylons' dependency_links url.

setuptools checked there first, found its minimum requirement, so
didn't bother checking elsewhere

> Yet today when I installed Pylons at home, it installed decorator
> 3.0.0, in contradiction to Tibor's experience.

Not sure why this happened. I'm curious what setuptools said about it
when it traversed the download links.

--
Philip Jenvey