Being a pylons newb myself, the first thing I did was write auth and
registration. It took a day.Granted I wasn't trying to support every
auth method I could think of like authkit does,but  I learned lots.If
you want auth (and other things) rolled in use use turbogears. But
getting basic authentication and registration working is not that big
of a deal.