FWIW, I have a simple example of authentication/authorization
including user management with the ZODB. No groups, but at least users
can sign up and only authenticated users can view the site. The
application is under development, but that part works.

https://github.com/cguardia/ZODB-Documentation/tree/master/code/conflict/birdie

Carlos de la Guardia