On Dec 17, 2011, at 4:40 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> On 16/12/2011 23:48, Michael Bayer wrote:
>> I was just looking to express (and top post, its just easier) that right
>> now the "sharing the base" patterns arent' nailed down, but that it can
>> be whatever. We can make it work whatever way people think should become
>> a best practice. Though usually things go better when I come up with the
>> best practice myself after getting a really clear view of the use cases.
>
> More of a SA comment that anything else, but I wish there was one source of
> metadata, the MetaData object, rather than having some in the MetaData object
> and some in the Base...

Right but like I said you might have a hierarchy of classes sharing a base, but
then several groups of tables that are same-named, spread out, using different
metadatas.   The current app I work on is like this - one Base but actually
four separate MetaData objects.

I think the better solution would just be a better documented/unified system of
"string lookup" patterns.  All these registries are just about looking up
strings, so that you don't have to cross-import things.  Nothing else.    There
is always a way to do things without using them at all, just less convenient.

Here's the enterprisey way:

INameRegistry->   ClassNameRegistry / TableNameRegistry ->
CompositeNameRegistry -> Base