On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Tjelvar <tjelvar.ols...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Simon,
>
> Thank you for your response. I've had a look at the pages you
> highlighted. I've also experimented with running the command:
>
> $ .../env/bin/pserver development.ini
>
> before and after deleting the AppName.egg-info directory. The latter
> resulting in a distribution not found error:
>
> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: AppName
>
> So would it be correct to say that:
>
> "The information in the AppName.egg-info directory is required for the
> pserve, proutes, pshell and ptweens programs to be able to discover
> and import the application."

Egg-info is the application's metadata. It tells Python what the
package's name and version are, which Python packages/modules it
contains, which other distributions it depends on, and what its entry
points are. All this is defined in the package's setup.py. When you
install the package or run "python setup.py egg_info", it creates the
egg_info directory.

pserve calls paste.deploy.loadwsgi.loadapp(), which reads the app
section in the INI file, and looks for the entry point specified in
the use= line. It calls Setuptools to find and load this entry point.
Entry point data is in the egg_info directories, so that's why they
must exist.

--
Mike Orr <sluggos...@gmail.com>