Wow. This looks great. I wish I knew about it sooner.

Digging into the code, there was a PR to split things out and support JSON
serialization – however there are no unit tests covering this or docs for
it.  @Delta do you know of any public examples of this usage?  If so I'd be
happy to play around with it and generate a PR for unit tests.

I often manually generate and read encrypted cookies, which can be a
chore.  This would be incredibly useful to me in a few projects.