Nicolas Lehuen wrote:
2005/9/24, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005, Nicolas Lehuen wrote:

     > Maybe we should distribute the publisher as an extension module ?
    Alongside
     > with Vampire, Django, and other high-level frameworks ?

    I'd leave the publisher where it is. Mod_python needs at least one
    handler
    to demonstrate how it works and provide a quick and easy way to get
    started, and that handler better not be cgihandler. This is why I think
    the publisher should be primitive and any of its shortcomings are OK,
    becuase if you need something fancy - you can use Vampire, etc.

    I did not notice there was a testhandler.py there. In general we do way
    too much committing and too little discussion, I'd like to see this
    ratio
    reversed. Can we get a little thread on what the testhandler is
    (sorry if
    this was discussed and I wasn't paying attention).

    Grisha

That's another of my commit :). The purpose of the testhandler was to provide an handler "in the box" so that people could test the Apache side of their configuration without having to write an handler.

I thought that all this mptest.py thing was a bit disturbing, as usually people took the wrong impression that they had to call the /test/mptest.py URL, that is they thought that the handler system was a bit like the publisher system. So by providing a test handler in the box, we could make sure that the installation was correct without having to cope with all the fuss about where mptest.py should be located and what URL to use to make sure everything is working.

I think this is a worthwhile addition as it should make it easier to get
new people started with mod_python.

Jim