Nic Ferrier wrote:
Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Nic Ferrier wrote:

I just joined this list (at the suggestion of Graham Dumpleton) to try
and get you guys to consider adding some glue to connect python >2.2
logging to Apache's logging.

I have done this before, and although I haven't checked this code, it is as trivial to do as Nic makes it appear (my code was a bit different, but it did essentially the same thing). On the other hand, I'm not sure including this code fits with Grisha's philosophy of mod_python being what it is -- glue between Python and apache -- especially when this is such a simple exercise to anyone who has read the logging docs.

But that's my point Nick, it's so simple as to be annoying when you
have to do it (it certainly annoyed me when I came to mod_python).

I agree, there are several bits of code that are like that.

I really think the argument about mod_python being minimal does not
apply here.

Nick said it - mod_python is glue between Python and apache - well,
making Python logging work directly to Apache seems like important
glue to me.

And again I renew my argument that there needs to be some kind of contrib archive that is probably separate from mod_python and unsupported in the core distribution. Maybe a wiki or code repository or something to support all the contributions like this. That way all these neat things can be available to people who are using mod_python, but not burden the development process of mod_python itself with issues concerning the constributions.

Nick