There has recently been some much-needed discussion on the numpy-discussions list run by sourceforge regarding the state of the multidimensional array objects available for Python. It is desired by many that there be a single multidimensional array object in the Python core to facilitate data transfer and interfacing between multiple packages.

I am a co-author of the current PEP regarding inclusion of the multidimensional array object into the core. However, that PEP is sorely outdated. Currently there are two multidimensional array objects that are in use in the Python community:

Numeric --- original arrayobject created by Jim Hugunin and many others. Has been developed and used for 10 years. An upgrade that adds the features of numarray but maintains the same basic structure of Numeric called Numeric3 is in development and will be ready for more wide-spread use in a couple of weeks.

Numarray --- in development for about 3 years. It was billed by some as a replacement for Numeric,. While introducing some new features, it still has not covered the full feature set that Numeric had making it impossible for all Numeric users to use it. In addition, it is still unacceptably slow for many operations that Numeric does well.

Scientific users will always have to install more packages in order to use Python for their purposes. However, there is still the desire that the basic array object would be common among all Python users. To assist in writing a new PEP, we need clarification from Guido and others involved regarding

1) What specifically about Numeric prevented it from being acceptable as an addition to the Python core.
2) Are there any fixed requirements (other than coding style) before an arrayobject would be accepted into the Python core.

Thanks for your comments. I think they will help the discussion currently taking place.

-Travis Oliphant