Hi Sam,

On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 03:52:56PM -0400, Sam Gross wrote:

> I've been working on changes to CPython to allow it to run without the
> global interpreter lock. I'd like to share a working proof-of-concept that
> can run without the GIL.

Getting Python to run without the GIL has never been a major problem for
CPython (and of course some other Python interpreters don't have a GIL
at all). I think the first attempt was in 1999, a mere handful of years
after Python was released.

https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=214235

The problem has been removing the GIL without seriously degrading
performance. How does your GIL-less CPython fork perform? Especially for
single-threaded code.

Have you been following progress of the GILectomy?

https://pythoncapi.readthedocs.io/gilectomy.html

Single threaded code is still, and always will be, an important part of
Python's ecosystem. A lot of people would be annoyed if the cost of
speeding up heavily threaded Python by a small percentage would be to
slow down single-threaded Python by a large percentage.

--
Steve