On 1/18/2022 2:44 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
We propose to revert the following 2 changes in Python 3.11 and
postpone them in a later Python version, once most projects will be
compatible with these changes:

* Removal of unittest aliases (bpo-45162): it broke 61 Fedora packages
* Removals from configparser module (bpo-45173) - broke 28 Fedora packages

Doesn't this show, once again, that making DeprecationWarning silent by
default was a mistake?

That's a hypothesis, but we don't have enough information to prove it. If we'd gone the other way, perhaps we'd be looking at massive complaints from "regular" end users about all the noisy warnings that they can't fix and saying that making it noisy was the mistake.

Discovering during alpha that some packages haven't updated for the release that hasn't happened yet isn't the end of the world. Reverting the changes now is probably a bit premature - realistically we can undo these anytime during beta if we discover that packages are unable to be fixed over the next 9 months.

That said, I'm fine with reverting the changes on the basis that they cause churn for no real benefit. If someone wants to argue that the benefit is worthwhile, that's fine, as long as they also argue in favour of the churn.

We shouldn't pretend to be surprised that something we changed causes others to have to change. We *know* that will happen. Either we push forward with the changes, or we admit we don't really need them. With this amount of time before the release, we can't blame downstream users for reverting it.

Cheers,
Steve