On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, just to extend the question a little (or reiterate, it may be that
> this is already covered and I didn't fully understand):
>
> On Windows, would a C extension author be able to distribute a single
> binary (bdist_wininst/bdist_msi) which would be compatible with
> with-LLVM and without-LLVM builds of Python?
>
> Actually, if we assume that only a single Windows binary, presumably
> with-LLVM, will be distributed on python.org, I'm probably being
> over-cautious here, as distributing binaries compatible with the
> python.org release should be sufficient. Nevertheless, I'd be
> interested in the answer.

We have broken ABI compatibility with Python 2.6, but unladen
--without-llvm should be ABI compatible with itself.  In the future we
would probably want to set up a buildbot to make sure we don't mess
this up.  One thing we have done is to add #ifdef'd attributes to
things like the code object, but so long as you don't touch those
attributes, you should be fine.

Reid