On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Simon Cross <hodgestar+python...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know whether I in favour of using a single pyr folder or not
but if a single folder is used I'd definitely prefer the folder to be
called __pyr__ rather than .pyr.

Guido van Rossum wrote:
Exactly what I would prefer. I worry that having many small directories is a fairly poor use of the filesystem. A quick scan of /usr/local/lib/python3.2 on my Linux box reveals 1163 .py files but only 57 directories).

Just to be clear: what should go in the __pyr__ folder? I can see two possibilities:

1) All files go directly into __pyr__, a flat directory tree.
   foo.py
   bar.py
   __pyr__/
       foo.py.c.3160
       bar.py.c.3160

2) Each source file gets its own subdirectory of __pyr__.
   foo.py
   bar.py
   __pyr__/
       foo.py/
         c.3160
       bar.py/
         c.3160

2 makes it easier to clear the cache for a particular source file--just delete its matching directory. The downside is that we're back to lots of small directories. And it's not that onerous to do a "rm __pyr__/foo.py.*". So I suspect you prefer option 1.

The proposal gets a +1 from me,

/larry/