18.03.2024 10:35, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
..
dbus-display1 is also used with static linking for the unit test.

It looks like the simplest is to let the actual target decide how it
is built, even if it is compiled multiple time then:

-  dbus_display1_lib = static_library('dbus-display1', dbus_display1,
dependencies: gio)
-  dbus_display1_dep = declare_dependency(link_with:
dbus_display1_lib, sources: dbus_display1[0])
+  dbus_display1_dep = declare_dependency(sources: dbus_display1,
dependencies: gio)

This makes commit 186acfbaf7 ("tests/qtest: Depend on
dbus_display1_dep") no longer relevant, as dbus-display1.c will be
recompiled.

I definitely prefer this approach.

Alternatively, we could always build with pic: true (or pic:
enable_modules), but that's not ideal either.

Here, we as well might enable pic unconditionally for just
everything.  But this is not for this change, and it needs
to be discussed first.  So far the consensus was to only
enable pic for shared objects.  Also, with --enable-static
it has other implications.

/mjt