Roy wood wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wolfgang Lenerz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
<SNIP>

This is a very interesting post! Indeed, it presumes that people are somehow
interested in writing that software (gghostscript etc filters).
I've just written the Proforma filter. And prettytedious it was, too. This is
probably the only thing I'll need in the foreseeable future.
Why should I bother with the other proposals?

This is the crux of the QL problem. We do not really work together. You may not need this filter to do any more than it already does but the community as a whole does need a solution . Now maybe there is something that you need that you cannot do yourself put yourself in that position and think how frustrating it is that someone stops halfway through the task of creating the solution and says 'OK that is all I need for my purposes' Jonathan Hudson was good at this. He would write brilliantly useful utilities but was bored with writing front ends so rarely did. He then complained that not enough people used his programs.

Ok, lets us make a small list

so we already have
1. PROforms, with drivers for a base set of printers.
2. Wolfgang's conversion program which AFAIU converts plain ASCII

we need (to get started)
3. PFF device driver
4. FILTER thing

nice to have (to make it more useful)
5. FILTER program for native PROforma intermediate language
6. support for (part of) a native printer format, like some ESC/P command
7. more printer drivers

Obviously, (3) and (4) are what is needed to get the show on the road. I would say that it could quite easily evolve as a community effort after that.

So, we need a "volunteer" to write that piece. I also assume it would be much easier if that person could be given an incentive. So maybe there is a job for Quanta after all.
Alternatively, someone could act as treasurer and find volunteers who would help to finance / support development of such a tool.

Then of course, a suitable programmer would need to be found. Though personally I think that quite a few people would be capable of doing the job. In any case, I would be willing to help with technical details, more specific specs and stuff like that if needed.

Kind regards,
Joachim