"Duncan - what has happened to your formatting??  "
Sorry I have been playing with the stettings in OE and thought I
had improved them - obviously not!!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Rich
Mellor
Sent: 28 November 2004 17:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Proforma Filter

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:08:14 -0000, Duncan Neithercut
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
> Whats wrong with a back ground job started at boot with low priority
> as the intermediate.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with this - it sounded quite a
good
idea.
Its the communications which are a problem...

> It could : look for a configuration file and read that in & then
know
> to clear the pipe anytime something is put into it by PFF device &
> save the contents of the pipe to a designated location on disk
> - ram rom win flp if so configured
> call the appropriate filter eg Quill files configured to be
> treated as ASCII as no printer driver loaded for this version of
> Quill.  Text 87 files treated as ESCP2 and a proportional font
> used for printing. QD files have FF added by the filter and so on
upto
> the user
> Or call the GUI before exec ing a filter if thats the configuration
> set up.

Hmm I guess this could be an answer - the pipe from the PFF device
could
be kept relatively small and would soon be
emptied as the Printer Control Program would soon open a channel to
the
temporary storage area and copy the information from the pipe to
there...
Good idea unless anyone else sees a problem here....

> GUI could be used to change configuration at run time and
> inform the background task by printing the new config file to the
> PFF device with a header that tells it to read the new configuration
> rather than call a filter etc

Yes - that could be an idea - the header to tell it to read the new
configuration data MUST containt non-printable codes however
(otherwise
you might get this special header inside a document - eg. the manual
!!)

Duncan - what has happened to your formatting??  Also, please don't
quote
the whole of an email - just the relevent parts as it makes it awkward
read.

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services