On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:56:57 -0000, Dilwyn Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Once it's settled and everyone stops arguing about it, I'll see about adding it to display_cde.

No comment on the code so I guess it will have to wait until the new year.

Seems straightforward enough, the only real difference is that your code assumes #0 if no channel is specified, display_cde insists on a channel parameter IIRC.

Given that there is some uncertaintly about some of the code used, what I might do is add it as an extra function rather than replace the existing one for now. The code is similar enough that once we're all happy it works as it should, it should be simple enough to integrate into display_cde.

Yes it should :-)

Rich - you asked about articles about this type of subject matter being made available, if you can come up with a list of what should be generally available or which you'd like to try to consolidate as general documentation material, I'll see what I have on disk here from past Toadies and send them to you once I've asked Marcel, Jochen, Wolfgang and anyone else whose articles fall into your list. Indeed, if you chaps are listening, would it be OK for Rich to have the material to see what he can come up with in terms of collating material with a view to public availability. Or, if you prefer, I could send what material I have to Rich once he tells me what he wants and he can ask you on a case by case basis.

I want any articules on programming in the new colour drivers or latest versions of smsq/e.
Lots of new commands have been added to smsq/e and the pointer environment since I last updated the SBASIC Reference Manual, and there are plenty of new traps and extended definition blocks since the QDOS and QPTR Manuals were written, so all of this information desparately needs to be be brought up to date (even if only by means of a supplement or pages on a central website).

Looking ahead slightly, what I may do is to purt such material relating to SMSQ/E and GD2 specifically onto a separate page on my website and if Wolfgang or Marcel (or anyone else for that matter) want to add any or all of it to dedicated websites or general documentation they can then feel free to grab whatever material they require from my website and put it into whatever formats suits their needs.

Yes - it might be an idea to put all the information on the QL documentation website - however, really it would be better to all appear on the official smsq/e website. The problem is that at the moment, all of the information needed is spread across numerous websites, the smsq/e sources and copies of QL Today - there is no central source.

Besides that, to say to programmers that "the information appears in the sources" is not exactly helpful - I wonder how many programs would be written for Unix if the only source of documentation was to read through the thousands of lines of code.

There does not even appear to be an index to the smsq/e sources - for example, if I wanted to know how the trap for mt.dmode worked, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look in the sources. Presumably all of the TRAP calls are collated, but where? The other solution would be to trace through the code as it is executed, but then we hit the big problem that QMON (both the original version and Lau's version) seems to always crash when tracing code in supervisor mode under smsq/e. Does anyone know why (or better still a fix??)

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapservices.co.uk/