Rich Mellor wrote:
> Please excuse my ignorance - if all this was written in a single
> document somewhere, it would help.

Sure.

> Now I have a little more time on my hands, maybe you could send me
> the originals of the various articles

Of which articles?

> If a machine code program wants to set up the colours for a specific text
> printed to screen, what should the procedure be?

A way that always works, no matter what? Here it is

[...] a2 set to WMAN vector
  moveq   #iow.sink,d0
  move.w  #some colour,d1
  moveq   #-1,d3
  jsr     wm.trap3(a2)
[...]

> OK though a program is going to struggle if it does not adapt to the fact
> that a lot less colours are available - otherwise it could end up with
> black text on a black background,

Of course WMAN cannot do miracles. If you want blue on a QL screen,
you will still not get blue.

> or some combination which would not look ery good (green on white -
> QPAC 2 suffers from this - especially when you select all files - I
> really must try to alter the colour settings for QPAC2).

That's why the WMAN system palette is there. The user has to make sure
the colours in there are readable, the defaults certainly are.

> Yes I know that, but surely there is space somewhere in the con driver
> linkage

If colours were saved in the CON driver linkage, every window in the
whole system had to use the same ink colour.

> - after all you are using byte $142 when the original was only $68
> bytes long.
>
> What do the other $84 + bytes contain??

Look it up: keys_con

>> Help yourself, there are enough sources for everyone:
>> http://www.scp-paulet-lenerz.com/smsqe/
> These do not include the sources for PTR_GEN and WMAN do they
> (except in so far as they are part of smsq/e).

ee_wman is complete.
iod_ptr seems to be missing, but it won't help you much. Even I have
hardly every (if every) looked at them. Most code is shared with
SMSQ/E, which is in iod_con2_ptr.

Marcel