> P Witte wrote:
> > Marcel: Presumably, there is no 36 character limit on www paths under the
> > TCP etc devices?
>
> Right, this is a character device.
>
> > So couldnt the DOS device (easily) be made to work the same under
> > TCP? Eg:
>
> No, DOS is a directory device.
>
> Marcel
The whole situation regarding name lengths is difficult. Going back to the
qlynx.zip, presumably Jonathan zipped it with a non-QDOS ZIP or the uQLx file
system allowed QDOS zip to put these long path names in.

When it comes to URLs, I have yet to run into name length problems, so I don't
know what the physical limits will be, whether Marcel's TCP/IP system allows
access to long names (presumably it does as it passes it all to the underlying
Windows system), but when it's programmable by us mere mortals, will we be
limited by
OPEN#3,TCP_(very long URL name) or whatever the syntax will be - i.e. will any
QL name length restrictions apply? I always thought that a non-directory device
was not subject to the same name length limitation as a filename, or is any
name qualifier on a non-directory device subject to same limitations as a
filename?