Dilwyn Jones writes:

<>
> We've down this road many times before, unless Marcel has new ideas to
> offer I don't really see the point of raising this again. Just because
> JRH managed to exceed 36 characters in his zip files!

Not quite. Ive always lobbied for an advanced new file system. Im now
prepared to accept something less ;)

The reason is order and sanity. Ive hit the path depth limit in trying to
arrange things the way I need to have them, and I rarely use directory names
of more than three of four letters. One letter is too limited.

Another reason is that many software authors seem to expect their stuff to
be stored in the device root. You cant move their stuff to a subdirectory
without altering filenames and dependencies. Awful! As a rule, I dont like
having more than a page's worth of files or subdirectories in a
subdirectory.

In five years or so, I'll be desperate!

> In an indirect way, by defining the pseudo devices like DEV you can
> work around this to some extent in some circumstances if you are
> desperate. Setting the base devices for DOS to have longer Windows
> path names lets me access files in long and deep subdirectories in
> Windows from QPC2. When you are trying to cope with lengthy Windows
> network path names to shunt stuff from terminal to terminal at work
> (which I shouldn't be doing but occasionally need to when I use the
> office scanner on my colleague's machine and fetch the files using
> QPC2 on my office machine it's usually the only way because of the
> path name lengths. Fiddly, time consuming etc but possible if you get
> desperate.

I get by by juggling .win drives, but its not ideal.

> All the suggestions Per made have merits I guess and if we don't
> debate them we'll never get them. I just don't get the impression that
> even Marcel The Miracle Maker will get this done soon!

I wouldnt dare to suggest that Marcel should deal with this. I think hes
done plenty already! There are other people out there with the skills, or
potential skills, to do the job. It doesnt take a genius to write it, but it
may take some ingenuity to design it and produce a specification. It
would also require some kind of consensus to go ahead, as such a move
is almost certainly bound to be traumatic.

Per